titlemitc.jpg (8750 bytes)
separator.jpg (2540 bytes)

STOCKADE

The Stockade or Palisade was a wooden wall that surrounded the Cahokian villages.  It is believed that it was used as a defensive system, or another belief is that it was used as a social barrier.  It was constructed of 15-foot logs and each had a diameter of 10 inches.  They used about 20,000 logs and mostly used oak and hickory.  The Stockade has a circumference of two miles enclosing Monks Mound, 16 other  mounds and the Grand Plaza
mitcstock1.jpg (7792 bytes) mitcstock2.jpg (10968 bytes) mitcstock3.jpg (8959 bytes)
  
There were guard towers every few feet with narrow L shaped slots in the wood for entry.  The logs were replaced at least four times over the years.  Each time the Stockade was rebuilt, the size and shaped changed.  It may have gotten smaller due to the loss of wood.
mitcstock4.jpg (11304 bytes) mitcstock5.jpg (13547 bytes)

 

BACK RED_BACK.JPG (1192 bytes)

MITC

RED_NEXT.JPG (1216 bytes) NEXT